Dyslexia Direct Services
I am an Independent Specialist Dyslexia Teacher who offers support services for literacy difficulties including screening, advice, reports, tuition and consultancy for pupils, parents or schools. Through my knowledge and skills as an experienced primary school teacher, combined with qualifications in speech, language and communication, these provide a highly specialist skill set which enables me to analyse and assess the strengths and difficulties encountered by pupils to produce individualised programmes to help them progress in their literacy skills. I have extensive experience working with neurodiverse pupils who have diagnoses such as dyslexia, autism and developmental language disorder.
I create a positive learning environment and tuition can include help with reading, spelling, grammar, punctuation, writing or study skills using multisensory strategies. Tuition either online via Zoom or face-to-face. My area of specialist interest is using assistive technology such as iPads or computers to help pupils with their learning, particularly low cost and free software. This can include text-to-speech software, mind-mapping apps, and screen adjustments.
I hold a current professional qualification as a Dyslexia Teacher and engage in regular Continuing Professional Development such as attending the 2021 International British Dyslexia Association Conference. I hold a current Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (DBS), alongside suitable Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance.
Address and contact information
- Dyslexia Direct Services, Woodland Grove, Penwortham, Preston, Lancashire PR1 0JB
- Contact Name
- Linda Wakeford
- Contact Position
- Specialist Dyslexia Teacher
- 07866 032351
- Dyslexia Direct Services website
- Dyslexia Screener and Advice including a computer dyslexia screener (internet access is required) and a short report of strengths and weaknesses, alongside general advice on how to support areas of weakness with suggested activities.
- Initial Literacy Assessment Report providing a holistic assessment of literacy skills, including some psychometric tests, recommendations and suggested targets.
- Advice as a specialist teacher regarding dyslexia.
- Training workshops on dyslexia and classroom strategies, multisensory learning and assistive technology.
- Specialist Individual Dyslexia Teaching using an evidence-based multisensory, highly structured, sequential, cumulative and phonically based programme as recommended in the Rose Report 2009.
- Guidance on the use of technology in supporting literacy difficulties through the use of free and low-cost applications across common platforms.
- Please contact me for information regarding costs.
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Professional Qualifications and Memberships
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Primary)
Awarded By: Bath College of Higher Education
- Speech and Language Therapy Degree (Hons)
Awarded By: The University of Manchester
- Postgraduate Certificate in Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia) (Distinction)
Awarded By: Edge Hill University
- Associate Member of the British Dyslexia Association
I hold a current Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (DBS), alongside suitable Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance.
I am registered on the British Dyslexia Tutor List which can be accessed via this link. https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyslexia/tutor-list